The housing market is finally turning around, which means that it is already easier to sell a home today than it was a year ago. Still, there are plenty of homes on the market, which can be troublesome if you want to sell your home fast. Thankfully, there are a few things that you can do to make the sale process move faster. If you are looking to sell your home now, it’s vital that you show it to prospective buyers the right way. Certain steps have to be taken to present your home as the buyer’s dream home, so consider instituting the following and get things moving towards success right now.
Outside Looking In
The most important part of showing a home is the first impression that you will make by having a beautifully kept outside. Any good realtor will tell you that if the outside of a home is well taken care of, then the inside of the home will be well cared for as well. Since this is the case, take a look around the home as if you were buying it yourself. Is there anything that needs to be repaired? Are there any big concerns that you would have if you were buying it?
- Is the paint in good condition? Consider applying a new coat before you list the home to make things look newer and fresher.
- If you don’t have paint, or you don’t want to paint, rent a pressure washer to clean the exterior well.
- Touch up shutters and other areas of the home that are rather simple to fix up. The small details will go a long way.
- Consider hiring a lawn service for the short term to keep your lawn and landscape well maintained.
- Repair screening if there are holes and check out the carpet on the porch – if there is any – to ensure it looks its best.
- Pay special attention to the entryway and offer potential buyers the ‘red carpet’ from the moment they arrive.
While the first impression is most important, showing the inside of your home is also vital to making or breaking a sale. That said, there are a few tried and true methods that you can put to use in order to make things appeal to potential buyers that are coming to view the home. If you take time to show the home in the best possible manner, you can be sure that selling the home won’t be a problem.
- Light up the entryway of the home. Most people don’t understand how important this can be, but the entryway of a home can seem either inviting, or hostile. As this is the case, remove obstructions and light things up so that it is a welcoming area that offers a great first impression of the inside of the home.
- Pack your unique things before buyers come to view the home. Sure, you love the home and all that you’ve been able to do to it, but potential buyers will have a hard time envisioning themselves in the home if it is full of your kids’ drawing and other personal items. Pack these things up and consider putting them in storage for the time being.
- Likewise, remove some of the larger things in your home and put them in storage to make the home look larger than it may be. Open space will go a long way towards enticing buyers into making your home their own.
- Pay attention to the little details. It might seem silly, but baking cookies or adding a flower arrangement to the dining room just before potential buyers arrive can go a long way towards making the home feel like a place the buyers might want to live.
Selling your home doesn’t have to be rocket science, but there are some definitive steps you should take to ensure that it is shown at its best. Keep these things in mind and you’ll soon see that your home’s sale can occur faster than you ever thought possible.
Author Bio: Missie Morrison is a moving consultant with over fifteen years of experience in the industry. Beyond preparing your home, she recommends that those who are looking to move prepare for the events involved in relocation as well. She recommends this moving checklist for anyone who wants to stay organized and prepared.