Given the increase in popularity for roller blinds, it’s important for everyone who is purchasing this style of window covering to know how to properly clean and keep these blinds looking fresh and at their best. Though the cleaning method you adopt will depend very much on what material the blind is made of, this method will work for both materials that can be submerged in water, and those that will require spot cleaning.
The Cleaning Materials:
In order to properly clean your blinds, you will need:
• A mild laundry detergent
• A sponge (a soft cloth will also work)
• An old toothbrush
• A vacuum that also features a brush attachment
• A drying rack (or if it’s sunny outside, an outdoor clothesline)
• A bath tub or basin
1. For blinds that haven’t been given a good wash for a while, it’s best to start off with a good, thorough vacuuming to eradicate any surface dirt and dust. Take the blinds off of the roller and lay them flat on the floor. Using the brush attachment, vacuum away any loose dirt, dust, and grime.
2. Start filling up the bathtub with warm water, about halfway full
3. Combine the laundry detergent with the water and continue to mix until you’re able to see suds start to form.
TIP: If you have white blinds, some bleach can also be added.
4. Lay the blinds in the tub, and allow them to soak for 2 hours or so, then
5. Begin to carefully wipe the blinds back and forth, using a sponge or soft cloth to remove any residual dirt or stains.
TIP: If you come across any tougher stains, scrub them with an old toothbrush.
6. Drain the tub water and fill with clean and rinse the blinds. A shower sprayer will work best to remove the soap.
7. Take the single or double roller blinds and lay them over the top of a drying rack, and allow them to fully dry before reinstalling them on your window.
Incoming search terms:
- home decoration